CAVS Karaoke DVD-203G USB SuperCDG Player, Road Tested CAVS DVD-203G USB Pros and Cons
There has been a lot of talk about CAVS karaoke players, so we thought we would take the time to try one of the more popular models. The DVD-203G USB has all the usual features, such as 2 microphone inputs with echo, programmable song order, numeric keypad to access any song number, parental control, digital key control, and voice cancellation on multiplex discs, but here we will cover the pros and cons. over important points of interest.
Professionals will not use the supplied microphone. To my ear, as a professional I like to use high quality microphones so that singers always sound their best. That said, the average “consumer ear” may find that the supplied CAVS microphone sounds good.
There are no fancy video graphics like you see with 12 “laser discs. What you get are CD-quality music backing tracks with song lyrics on your monitor or TV.
There are several on-demand extras to consider before purchasing a USB CAVS DVD-203G as follows:
- The unit has two mic inputs but it only comes with one mic as mentioned above. You may want a second for all those duets.
- Most packages include 1 disc (up to 1,250 songs), so if you want more discs, they can cost anywhere from $ 70 to $ 200.
- The USB port is for an external hard drive which is NOT included so it will cost $ 100 + depending on the size, but it could fit up to 100,000 songs or more on the larger ones.
- An audio / video cable is included, but any additional cables, for example; Video, coaxial, or optical cables will need to be purchased separately.
- To make your own SCDGs, you need additional software for around $ 49 or a deluxe version for $ 69 from the manufacturer.
- The CAVS DVD-203G USB is a mid-size component that fits perfectly in a home entertainment system or professional rack. It can replace an AC3 Dolby Digital DVD player and / or a 500 CD carousel. It was easily connected to my TIVO via the front AV inputs (white-red-yellow RCA jacks) but those without TIVO should look for the same connectors on their VCR or directly on the TV. You can also use an S Video connection or the RCA A / V jacks on your home stereo and TV combo. Professionals use the mixer and video directly to a video monitor or video patch bay to sync multiple TVs.
- Plays all formats: DVD / VCD / SCDG / CD + G / CD / CD-R / CD-RW / MP3 / JPEG / Kodak Photo CD
- Excellent Sound Quality and Arrangements – We tested Sweet Georgia Brown Magic Tracks with 1208 songs and the sound quality and musical arrangements were excellent.
- SuperCDGs can be played on your computer. Each commercial disc comes with a standalone PC program that loads and plays hundreds and thousands of songs, allowing you to make a karaoke program with just your PC or laptop (DVD equipped).
- You can create your own SuperCDGs from your old CD + G library or your MP3 collection of non-Karaoke songs with the optional software.
- With the CAVS DVD-203G USB player you can also connect an optional 60, 160 or 250 Gigabyte CAVS hard drive for a whopping 100,000 song storage capacity.
For the professional:
- Save money by buying so many discs
- Save time when switching discs between singers
- Avoid the pain of carrying hundreds of records in cases.
- Avoid the headache of having to deal with scratched discs when changing them, as it practically eliminated the need to change discs.
- Mix-Down lets you make studio-style output of your performance to an external recorder or computer
Offsets do not exceed values. There were some additional costs for a hard drive and some additional SCDG discs, but now we have an expandable system that plays SCDG. With this unit, the only thing that distinguishes professionals from amateurs are the ‘7 rules for throwing a karoke party at CAVS